How to Delete, Move and Resize pagefile.sys?
Windows 10 is an amazing resource-intensive, but sometimes your physical RAM does not provide sufficient capacity for running programs or processes. Microsoft works cleverly to resolve this issue by a special ‘paging file’ known as pagefile.sys. This can hold all types of data which cannot be handled by RAM because pagefile.sys prevent your windows from crashing while your system has low resources. However, it is not as efficient as a RAM, but it works well for your system.
How to Delete, Move and Resize pagefile.sys?
In case you want to free up some space on the drive then you can transfer pagefile.sys to any external disk, or you can set a size limit. Now a question arises “how to delete the resize pagefile.sys?” So in this article, we will give every possible information so that you can use pagefile.sys easily.
What Is pagefile.sys?
Pagefile.sys in Windows works to store the data which should be stored in the random access memory (RAM) of your computer. It is Microsoft Windows operating system’s paging file that also stores the data at a time or power cut or crash. In case your RAM does not store the data then the Hard drive or SSD (C:\pagefile.sys) receives all of the required data of your system. The size of the stored files depends upon the capacity of your system so the size can vary from megabytes(MB) to gigabytes(GB).
Is It Safe To Delete pagefile.sys?
You know that pagefile has important information regarding the PC state as well as running programs. Therefore, If you delete these files, then you may face some serious consequences, and it also can impact the stability of your system. It doesn’t matter that pagefile takes a huge amount of space because it is necessary for the smooth working of your PC. That’s why pagefile.sys stays hidden by default on Windows 10 operating system.
How to Delete pagefile.sys?
- First, you have to open File Explorer then right-click on Computer and select Properties.
- Now click on the Advanced system settings then click on the Settings option of Performance then click on the Advanced tab.
- You will see an option list that has Windows 10 paging file option below the Virtual Memory section. Now click on the OK button multiple times to close those screens.
- After that, begin the Registry file tweaking process through the “Regedit” command in the Cortana search box at the Windows 10 desktop.
- Click on the entry in the search results, which refers to a Registry Editor program (regedit.exe).
- It will open the drive so go in the specific location given below:
- Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management.
- At last, you need to double click on the ClearPageFileAtShutdown key ( located at the right-hand window) and change the default value from 0 to 1. Now the paging file will be deleted when you shut down your device and refresh at the time of restart.
How To Move pagefile.sys?
- First, you need to open the Control Panel then search for ‘advanced system settings.
- At the advanced tab, click on the settings in the Performance section.
- Now, select the Advanced tab in the window which opens then click the ‘Change’ button below Virtual memory.
- In case you deselect ‘Automatically manage paging file size of each drive’ Then you can set C: to ‘No paging file’ and select another drive for the ‘System managed file’.
- It is essential to ensure that you are moving the file in a different physical drive, not in the other partition of the same drive in case you are doing this process to increase the performance.
How To Resize pagefile.sys?
- You can resize the pagefile in your system so that it takes less space, but if your system doesn’t have a high physical memory, then you need to add RAM.
- If you don’t consider this point, then the pagefile could be too small to contain all the memory pages it requires to store.
- First, deselect ‘Automatically manage paging file size of each drive’ then select the custom size option.
- Now select a particular number which is required for your system and fulfil your needs.
- If you want to calculate the minimum size, then you must note down the memory usage for a few days to find out the maximum usage.
- Now, press Ctrl, Shift and Esc key to open the Task Manager and click on memory for seeing the details.
- At last, multiply the maximum value of allocated memory by 1.2 then subtract the capacity of the physical RAM.
In this article, we have offered complete information on how to delete, move and resize pagefile.sys. So as we have previously discussed pagefile.sys can hold all types of data which cannot be handled by RAM because pagefile.sys prevent your windows from crashing while your system has low resources. We hope that you understood the process, but you can ask any question if you have queries.
You may be also interested in: