OPD Full Form: An OPD is defined as a wing of hospital ought to reflect the functioning of the hospital being the first contact point between the patient and the hospital staff.
OPD Full Form
To avail of the services offered in an OPD, one needs to pay a visit and consultation charges. Thereby required assistance, or treatment or advice is provided by the respective doctors.
OPD offers services like consultation, investigation, treatment for minor injuries, admission and post-discharge follow up. Also promoting and preventing services like general illness vaccines, physiotherapy, etc are delivered.
OPD is visited by a large section of the public. OPD staff should be cooperative and efficient as the department acts as the mirror of the functions of a hospital.
OPD services are also referred to as Ambulatory care services.
This helps both the patient and hospital as the patient remains at his/her home and less demand for the hospital bed reduces the cost on patients.
In a Day Care procedure, one needs to be hospitalized for the treatment, even if it takes less time. Patient visiting the hospital for daycare is referred to as Inpatient. For OPD treatment one just need to walk into a hospital or a clinic and get the treatment done without being admitted for it. In this case, the patient is referred to as an outpatient.
For example, a fracture in the bone can be treated either in a hospital or a clinic without being admitted, and thus the treatment falls under the OPD category. On the other hand, if the injury in bone needs to treat by an operation, then surgery done may result in a daycare treatment.
People Also Reading:
- OPD services include the presence of a knowledgeable specialist, modern machine and material resources to provide an impeccable medical diagnosis.
- If required it refers patients for ODM to respective specialized departments like cardiology, neurology, ophthalmology, etc. of the hospital.
- It provides training to nurse, medical students, or technicians with diversified clinical practices.
- It aids in the control of communicable diseases by early detection and provides s specific treatment.
- It also caters the community with preventive services like marriage counseling and planned parenting.
- It is less expensive in comparison to inpatient hospitalization.
OPD Infrastructural Facilities
- Below is the listing of some of the requisite facilities of OPD-
- Entrance with wide steps and ramps
- Drinking water
- Waiting area
- Registration counter
- Consultation Room
- Wall clock
- Clinical area
- Wheelchairs and trolleys
- Examination equipment, etc.
People Also Reading: